Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Use of Force

Writing my upcoming book, Fighting for Control, has been an interesting journey. Although I read tons of BDSM books and really love the dynamic it brings to a story, I had yet to write one before the 1-800-DOM-help series was proposed.

I decided to step out of my element, out of my safe little box, and go for something a lot more serious than I usually write. What surprised me was the few areas where I bogged down and had to force the scene to go on.

My critique partners picked up on those scenes as needing work. And after I reworked them, my editor still pointed them out for revision.

Then it hit me - writing about sex is like having sex. If you have to force yourself, you're not having fun, and what's the point?

Trying new scenes in real life is much the same. While life is a learning process and learning ain't always fun, sex should be. If you aren't enjoying a scene, a role you're playing, a position or location you're trying, stop and find something you do enjoy. Or if your partner seems to be forcing a scene, talk it out.

You can always save the Domme boots for Halloween, right? And pull out the whip at work when your subordinates aren't subordinating. Or whatever. But remember that beneath all the pain there is supposed to be pleasure.


I'm not sure where my characters are going to lead me now that I'm not going to force them into a scene, but I'm so excited to find out! I just now I'm going to love it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree there's nothing worse than forcing a scene. I love the attitude of going back and taking a new direction to have more fun. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stretching yourself is a writer is a great thing and I'm happy that you're feeling excited about a new direction. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete