Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Submissive Male -- Misunderstood


I have been reading quite a bit about the ongoing devaluation of the submissive male in society. The discussion goes something like this. Our culture views a male who gives up his power as pathetic, lacking strength, and an object of derision. And dominant women must really be women who have not found the correct male to whom to submit. There are manly Dom's who treat some of my fellow female dominants this way, continuing to view them as potential conquests. Because of this it may be more difficult for submissive men to be in mixed public play environments with some male dominants making the above judgements of them. Although I am sure there are plenty of submissive men secure enough in their desires and strengths to not give a shit. Still. It is why an exclusively FemDom club or party is a valuable resource.

I have been following an interesting series of interviews of submissive males by a blogging Domme (Dishevelled Domina,) including the latest entry by Tom Allen who does the blog The Edge of Vanilla. (I also highly recommend his blog.)

I find his answers fascinating and urge you to read the interview. And for good measure, visit Maymay's Male Submission Art blog, his on-going effort to explore the strength and beauty in male submission and challenge these stereotypes.

I know I've written about this topic before, but it is near and dear to me. And for those who write and read BDSM which includes that alluring alpha submissive man, I think the topic is point on.

Safe, sane and consensual,
Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Submission of a strong man is a beautiful thing. They are not wimps. They are not less manly. They are exposing their vulnerability in a safe environment. There is nothing more sexy than that. Bravo. Love submissive men.

    ReplyDelete